"We are created as much from the dust of eternity as we are from the dust of the earth."

Thursday, February 3, 2011

I feel that I should blog. Its been a while. Many, many things have been turning over and over in my mind. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Potty training. Judging based on the content of one's character. Joy. Happiness. Understanding. Peace. The scriptures speak of people whose eyes cannot see afar off. Can mine? The scriptures speak of understanding with your heart and thus becoming converted. According to these verses Christ will heal us if only we will understand. With our hearts. I want the Lord to teach my heart something that the rest of me is too wise to understand.

"The abundant life is a spiritual life. Too many sit at the banquet table of the gospel of Jesus Christ and merely nibble at the feast placed before them. They go through the motions—attending their meetings perhaps, glancing at scriptures, repeating familiar prayers—but their hearts are far away. If they are honest, they would admit to being more interested in the latest neighborhood rumors, stock market trends, and their favorite TV show than they are in the supernal wonders and sweet ministerings of the Holy Spirit.
Do you wish to partake of this living water and experience that divine well springing up within you to everlasting life?
Then be not afraid. Believe with all your hearts. Develop an unshakable faith in the Son of God. Let your hearts reach out in earnest prayer. Fill your minds with knowledge of Him. Forsake your weaknesses. Walk in holiness and harmony with the commandments."

I've really been stuck on the Bishop's comments the other night at Relief Society. What makes us happy? What keeps us from being happy?  
Is what makes you happy also what keeps you from being happy sometimes? Or does it seem that way at least?
I greatly desire the abundant life, so why don't I just sit down and eat? If my two year old would just sit down and eat with his fork and spoon and if my ten month old would stop screaming and if my husband  would stop helping little old ladies across the street so he could get home while the banquet is still warm. And what about all these dishes? Which reminds me I only made it to Kroger's and Walmart  today which means I didn't get the dishwasher detergent at Sam's Club which means I am going to have to wash all these dishes by hand! Does everyone really need a salad fork AND a dinner fork? That's it! I'm going to Wendy's! And so it goes (at least in my life). Anyone got any help out there for me? What if you really want it, but you really do have to grocery shop, clean house, change diapers, cook breakfast lunch  and dinner, do dishes, do laundry, etc. too?  Advice? Ideas?

3 comments:

  1. It's true. Sometimes I seem to care more about my favorite Netflix show, than reading my scriptures. But I have found that slowing down and enjoying moments here and there brings great happiness. It's also how the Spirit works--quiet moments here and there. I learned this in a profound way when I was in an accident about 3 years ago. I truly learned the importance of being grateful for the little things and seeing each day as a gift, and really each MOMENT is a gift as well. You're an amazing mommy, a wonderful person, and truly inspiring in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you and with Lisa, life is totally distracting from the spirit. A woman in our ward said something that I always think about. She said, "do you check your email before you pray? Who do you really want to check up with first?" This was really touching to me since I regularly read my email at 3 in the morning while I'm nursing the baby. Ever since she said that I make sure to check with the Lord before I check up on my friends. Also, even though my kids require a lot of attention I have found that they help me realize the smaller pieces of the spiritual feast around me. Amazing how the eyes of a toddler can see Heavenly Father's greatest creations when I am blind.

    You are doing wonderful and are truly an inspiration to me all the time. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you ladies! You are beautiful, and so much wiser than I was at your age. Just keep on keeping the main thing the Main Thing and you'll be alright!

    ReplyDelete