"We are created as much from the dust of eternity as we are from the dust of the earth."

Thursday, October 30, 2014

I'm not all about that bass

I am going to take a moment to write about something trivial cause I have been thinking about it for a while.

I am no feminist (not by a long shot) but I am gonna go out on a limb and blow your mind by saying maybe the hit song "All About That Bass" should not be the anthem of choice for women everywhere.

This song while touted for being "empowering" and "uplifting" and encouraging women everywhere to "embrace who they naturally are" is actually just saying "Don't worry about being big. Some guys dig that." So your mama told you that being fat is okay cause boys like that. Okay, my mama told me (fat or skinny) to get a job, go to college, and serve others. Life (okay here comes the mind blowing part) is not about having guys like you. Despite what every Disney channel tween show purports you have not reached Nirvana when you have a boyfriend and attend a concert (or star in a concert). I mean come on people!

This is the first verse:

Yeah, it's pretty clear, I ain't no size two
But I can shake it, shake it
Like I'm supposed to do
'Cause I got that boom boom that all the boys chase
And all the right junk in all the right places

This is empowering for women?!

She can shake it like she's supposed to do?

Anyway you get the idea not a feminist just gotta tell my feminist friends and friends with little girls everywhere stop subjecting your girls to this trash. Heck I even have guy friends who have posted they like for their boys to listen to mold breaking songs like this. Uh, we're not here for you guys. Sorry. Women are not here to be girlfriend material. Okay rant over.

Go ahead and like the song. It's very catchy. Just don't feel like you are doing something great for humanity by downloading it, singing it, teaching it to your two year old daughter, etc. Okay my rant is really over now.

No comments:

Post a Comment